Saturday, September 8, 2012

Impromptu Late-Night Post: The Best Dang Chicken Fingers Ever

I wasn't planning on composing a new blog entry tonight, but I flung a craving for chicken fingers earlier and decided to indulge myself. 

I won't wax poetic on the virtues of homemade chicken fingers as opposed to the fast food variety, but in all honesty, the homemade version is ultimately victorious in any sort of comparison. 

This recipe was inspired by Hilah Johnson whose cooking blog and videos are a never-ending source of amusement and inspiration for me. I took her recipe for a fried chicken sandwich and metamorphosed it into my own recipe for chicken fingers. Regardless of whichever one you try, both recipes are definite winners! 


The Best Dang Chicken Fingers Ever 

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup dill pickle juice*
1 egg
1 tsp. hot sauce
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. black pepper
Canola oil 

*Sounds weird, right? I know. But trust me, the pickle juice serves as an excellent "quick brine."

Cut the chicken breasts into strips. Marinate them in the pickle juice for at least 30 minutes. 

In a bowl, beat the egg and hot sauce together until evenly mixed. In a different bowl, combine the flour and seasonings.

In a heavy-bottomed pot or skillet, heat the canola oil (around 2 cups or so) to medium high heat. Remove the chicken strips from the pickle juice and coat them in the egg wash. Then coat them evenly in the flour mixture. Place the breaded strips, a few at a time, into the heated oil. After 2 or 3 minutes, flip the strips and allow them to fry for 2 or 3 more minutes. Continue this process until they are evenly browned on both sides. Once they are browned, remove the strips from the oil and place them on a plate with paper towels to absorb the excess grease.

Allow them to cool for at least 5 minutes and serve. 

(You won't even need a dippin' sauce! However, if you want one, I'd recommend a lovely homemade sriracha-mayonnaise or honey dijon.)

Enjoy the crispy, juicy, delicious wonder! 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I'm on a low-carb, low-taste, low-fun, low-life diet. Accordingly, I hate you, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That said, obviously, it looks and sounds amazing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I should be on such a diet. However, my will-power hasn't kicked in just yet. So until then, I suppose I'll be cramming fried chicken down my ravenous gullet...

      Delete