Thursday, September 13, 2012

Bourbon Sweet Potato Tart

I had sweet potatoes -- they were on sale. I had top-shelf bourbon -- I had gotten it at a 50% off discount. So what would be the next logical step? Dessert, of course. 

Sweet potato pie was a staple in my household growing up. My mom made them constantly, and they were always incredible. Another reason I adore sweet potato pie is because it's a relatively inexpensive dessert (using only sweet potatoes, sugar, pie crust, eggs, sometimes milk), it's virtually fail-proof, and it's always a crowd-pleaser. 

I mentioned this a few entries ago, but I love adding bourbon to desserts. Its natural sweetness complements the flavor of most sweet treats, and it gives a subtle kick that enhances the overall taste. You've probably seen recipes for Bourbon Pecan Pie before, but the flavor of bourbon pairs surprisingly well with sweet potato!

A few Christmases ago, I received a tart pan as a gift -- and I've used the hell out of it. I really enjoy tart pans because they're great for "dressing up" an ordinary pie or pie-like edible. I've used mine to make quiche on several occasions. I just think that tarts are so elegant and sophisticated-looking. Also, seriously, how impressed will your friends be if you tell them you made a "tart"? Nobody makes those anymore!

Now, if you don't have a tart pan, you can just use a regular pie pan. Don't sweat it. 


Bourbon Sweet Potato Tart

1 large sweet potato (or 2 small ones) 
1 refrigerated pie crust*
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1-2 tbs. bourbon*

*As I said in my last entry, if you like to make your crust from scratch, go right ahead, and kudos to you! I, on the other hand, prefer the quick and easy route when it comes to pastries.

*You can add bourbon to taste. A healthy tablespoon will do ya, but two will do ya even better. If you'd rather exclude this ingredient, a teaspoon of vanilla or a tablespoon of maple syrup would be worthwhile substitutes. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place your sweet potato, whole and unpeeled, on a baking sheet, and allow it to roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until it becomes soft to the touch -- obviously, please don't test its softness with a bare hand. Remove from the oven, allow it to cool, and peel away the skin. Reserve.

Keep your oven temperature at 350 degrees. Roll out the refrigerated pie crust and gently place it in the tart pan, pressing it into place. Remove the excess crust and discard. 

In a mixing bowl, combine the sweet potato, sugar, eggs, and bourbon, and mix until all ingredients are blended thoroughly. If you find yourself with "stringy bits" from the sweet potato, try pureeing the mixture (in a blender or with a hand-blender). Once the mixture reaches an even consistency, pour it into the prepared tart shell/pie crust and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the mixture is set and crust becomes golden brown.

Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 30 minutes. Serve. 

(As the Brits would say, "That's one lusty tart!" Only in their case, they're probably not talking about pastries.)
 
Enjoy!
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment