Monday, September 10, 2012

Pastry-Wrapped Salmon with Herbes de Provence

Salmon is probably my favorite fish. I just love its texture and unique flavor profile. I even love it raw. Seriously, give me some smoked salmon and cream cheese on a bagel with capers and thinly-sliced tomatoes and onions, and I'm in heaven. 

With that in mind, this recipe is one of my absolute favorites. I concocted it one evening a while back when I was feeling rather experimental. Salmon + Pastry? That's a perfect duo in my book. Needless to say, it was an instant winner.

Another great aspect of this dish is that it looks and sounds very complicated, but it's actually incredibly easy to throw together, even for culinary amateurs. If you ever want to impress your guests at a dinner party, this recipe is the way to go. 

I used to call this recipe "Salmon Provencal" because of the inclusion of Herbes de Provence until I realized that there is an actual dish called "Salmon Provencal" that is completely different from my concoction. I have been known to refer to this dish as "Fishy Puff" on occasion, but "Pastry-Wrapped Salmon with Herbes de Provence" sounds so much more sophisticated and cosmopolitan, doesn't it? 


Pastry-Wrapped Salmon with Herbes de Provence

1 skinless salmon filet* (Somewhere between .7 lb-1 lb) 
1 store-bought refrigerated pie crust*
1/2 cup olive-oil based mayonnaise*
1 tbs. dijon mustard
1 tsp. Herbes de Provence
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

*If your salmon filet still has the skin in tact, make sure to remove it. Usually, it peels off somewhat easily. 

*I originally made this recipe using puff pastry, but regular old pie crust is just as delicious. However, both puff pastry and phyllo dough are excellent with this recipe. If you are a pastry whiz and want to make your own dough, go for it. I, on the other hand, hate making pie dough, so the store-bought variety suits me just fine. 

*You can use whatever kind of mayonnaise you like, but I promise, this is so much better with the olive-oil based variety. If you don't like mayo, just double up on the dijon mustard. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a well-greased baking sheet. 

In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, and seasonings thoroughly until they are mixed evenly. 

Unroll the pie crust and place your salmon filet to one side of it. Then spread the mayo-mustard mixture evenly over the fish, forming an even layer. If you have excess (which is likely, just discard it). Then wrap the fish in the pie crust and seal the edges. Place it on the baking sheet and brush the crust with a bit of melted butter for a browner, prettier crust. 

Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Allow the fish to cool for 5-10 minutes and then serve. 

(Pastry-wrapped love.)

 As far as side dishes go, this pairs well with a light salad or roasted vegetables. Also, don't forget the wine! Enjoy! 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of that (or salmon and bagels), but it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)
      And you MUST try a smoked salmon bagel sandwich sometime. They're magical!

      Delete
  2. I concur...salmon on bagels= divinity. Also, this recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      And I KNOW! I haven't had a salmon bagel in so long... Definitely craving one right about now.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is a delightfully delicious recipe! Thanks so much for sharing it! I love your blog. I look forward to more amazing recipes! Keep up the good work. I go to used book stores to look for out of print cookbooks and even found another set of the Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery (12 volumes, 1968), which I love! I also go to Barnes & Nobles used book site on internet. Have found some lovely cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all your thoughtful comments on several of my entries! I'm so happy you are enjoying my blog! :)
      Your cookbook collection sounds wonderful. I love perusing older, out of print books. It's hard to beat some of the classics!

      Delete